FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Map Creation Bugs/Glitches

Moderator: Some Guy

<<

froller

Post Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:05 am

Re: Map Creation Bugs/Glitches

Maybe this "invisible symbol" is the unix line feed. Programmers get bit by this all the time. It mean on Windows machines a newline is two characters \r\n (carriage return + linefeed) on unix (ie. linux Snoddasmannen is using) a newline is just the \n (linefeed) character. This means on Windows the single linefeeds amount to a garbage character. On the other hand \r with \n on linux is garbage + newline :) Anyways, most text editors can handle the change, just change \n to \r\n when you want to edit the file with on Windows and remove \r characters when you save the file for loading on Galimulator. To make things interesting, we can bring Macs to this soup, those dudes use just \r for the newline! =).

As for the no text output, I got Galimulator yesterday, first tested on Windows and there was no text output on the console -> went to linux and got the output. Maybe it would be a good idea to direct the stdout/stderr to a text file! I mean, it would make pasting easier etc.
<<

froller

Post Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:02 am

(Posting this again. It seems my earlier reply disappeared =). )

The mystic character on Windows machine might very well be a unix newline. On Windows a newline is annotated with two characters \r (carriage return) and \n (linefeed), whereas on unix systems (such as the linux snoddasmannen is using) use only \n. This means that on Windows notepad and other simpler programs see \n just as a garbage character. On the reverse, on linux a text file saved on Windows have a garbage character AND the newline. (To make this more interesting Macs only use \r).

This can be worked around the easiest by installing some text editor on Windows that can handle unix line breaks. When you open the file, search and replace \n with \r\n and before saving, remove all \r characters. On the galimulator side, snoddasmannen could implement this to the file reading function to handle files written either way (although it can be argued that a unified scheme is a better way to solve this).

As for the missing console output, I got the game yesterday so a fresh download. I tried it first with Windows and can confirm that there was no console output. I don't know what causes this, but wouldn't it be nicer anyways to get the "log" also to a file (or maybe files such as trace.log, debug.log, messages.log...) ? It would make pasting the errors easier in the long run and allow huge amounts of debug info to be produced for later investigation.

(I hope this post won't get sucked in the oblivion. I'm not writing this for the third time! :) )
<<

Snoddasmannen

Site Admin

Post Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:56 pm

I'll reply to this later, but sorry for the draconian posting rules, we've had major spamming going on...
One man Galimulator developer and public relations army
Previous

Return to Maps and other Mods