FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

AAR (After-Action Reports) - Story time

Moderator: Some Guy

<<

3vresbo

Post Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:13 pm

Re: AAR (After-Action Reports) - Story time

It seems now that ive achieved lvl 10 tech the empires spawning from mine all have surpassed transcending. :lol:
<<

Snoddasmannen

Site Admin

Post Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:34 pm

3vresbo wrote:I like to think whole groups of stars are yelling out "Wtf!! We would supposed to transcend" than break off and ascend immediately.
Overall my assumption coincides with me smashing the reform government and it breeding grounds to break off and start new empire the mechanics of them transcending through technology they recieving from their ancestors. Fun and decorative. Let you know if it continues as often as it is currently.

Haha, thanks for the awesome writeup :) I always enjoy reading these, and it's often the little things that get me. Like waiting for a favourite color or name to show up, hearing about fights between motherships and dragons, using reforms to keep you from transcending etc.

So yeah it's a known issue, but I see no reason to fix it, if you've gotten this far you deserve to discover this, and it won't hurt you I think :)

3vresbo wrote:It seems now that ive achieved lvl 10 tech the empires spawning from mine all have surpassed transcending. :lol:

That is also really cool! :)
One man Galimulator developer and public relations army
<<

3vresbo

Post Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:22 am

Hahaha i typed that from a phone and definitely didn't spell or error check. Hope you can pick up on the jist. We were supposed to transcend!*
<<

Some Guy

Post Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:32 am

Alright, so I was screwing around with dynasties and timelapse mode, and I found a 110 millennia old ship captain with 445k prestige! He commanded Bilaa the Magnificent ( can't find the ship on the map), and had 28 children throughout his lifetime ( with the infertile trait! ). He didn't even have the wounded trait!

He died at the old age of 112 by job hazard.
The Best Emperor!
<<

Optometrist_Prime

Post Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:24 am

Some Guy wrote:Alright, so I was screwing around with dynasties and timelapse mode, and I found a 110 millennia old ship captain with 445k prestige! He commanded Bilaa the Magnificent ( can't find the ship on the map), and had 28 children throughout his lifetime ( with the infertile trait! ). He didn't even have the wounded trait!

He died at the old age of 112 by job hazard.

I noticed this as well snodd, ship captains seem to be out of balance, usually after a decent amount of time you'll notice that the top few families are actually quite poor, but there's usually some super rich ship captain there
I'm not Belgian either
<<

Snoddasmannen

Site Admin

Post Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:54 am

Yep, good call guys. The captains are a problem because the "inherent" risk is rather low, since they tend to be killed during combat. The problem is when the head off on quests, where they can stay safe from enemy raiders and dragons for eternity. I'll try to tweak this in the next version.
<<

Optometrist_Prime

Post Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:03 am

Snoddasmannen wrote:Yep, good call guys. The captains are a problem because the "inherent" risk is rather low, since they tend to be killed during combat. The problem is when the head off on quests, where they can stay safe from enemy raiders and dragons for eternity. I'll try to tweak this in the next version.

Awesome, thanks. I'll see if I can drop some ideas later on if you need, but I'm having a late Christmas thing with my family so I'll be inactive for a little while :)
I'm not Belgian either
<<

covi2955

Post Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:32 pm

So, I love this game, and the complex stories that emerge from it. I left it running at work in the background one day until lunch. Then at lunch I picked it up to see where it was at. Here's the story (as told by me to one of my co workers via our work chat)

[12:52]
OH NO! After over 500 millenia of ruling the galaxy, the great empire "Movement of Demmlirsmi" is about to fall to internal strife. Already 5 major revolutions have occurred in disparate locations in the galaxy, taking with them over a hundred stars each. The culture is in decline, and the revolutionaries are united in truces, while all attacking the mother empire. The "Movement of Demmlirsmi" is such an ancient empire that it dwarfs all others I've ever seen in this simulator. It was at one point so powerful, scientifically advanced, and wealthy that it held the entire galaxy under its undisputed control for over 100,000 years!

[12:53]
And now, it falls, as all things must.

[12:57 PM]
The empire falls during the reign of Theadsamen Ronatinder. In his traits, it says he was "chosen for a great destiny." I guess his great destiny was to be the downfall of an ageless kingdom. It took him all of 1 year working as a ship captain to advance to the station of a Regional Officer on Gefo. From there he was promoted after 2 short years to be a stellar governor. After 8 years there he advanced to the station of the Emperial Military Minister. And after 3 short years there, he became the Emperor of the greatest Empire the galaxy had ever seen (literally the only empire many stars in the galaxy had ever seen).

[12:58]
At age 35, with his 3 children, wounded from battle (probably from his time as a ship officer, but its a trait he still has), he watches as the mighty empire crumbles before him.

[1:02]
The capital has been overrun. The emperor and 2 important members of his dynasty are forced to flee to the Zurakogo system. With him are the Military Minister, the Internal Minister, the Arch Priest, and the captain of the Imperial guard.

[1:03]
With their weakness laid bare, the revolution known as the "Roasted Beurocracy of Qien" tears into the weakened empire. Many of the Emperor's own household join the ranks of this new kingdom, becoming Regional Officials and Stellar Governors.

[1:06]
A distant relative of the emperor, Wactig Ronatinder, is one of the Ship Officers aboard a raider vessel of the empire known as "The Lamentable". How perfect a name, given that many of the planets he has been part of raiding are now under the control of the Roasted Beurocracy of Qien, and controlled by his traitorous cousins and uncles.

[1:11 PM]
Oh gosh. I just found out that Wactig has been promoted to Regional Officer of a system called Vstrod. But he is also a "moron" and is "fertile." Which means this bumbling baffoon is going to have lots of children... ugh

[1:14]
The Movement of Demmlirsmi has turned its luck around. While it has lost well over half its power, it has stopped degenerating and has begin to conquer some of the rebelions. Including the Roasted Beurocracy of Qien... man I would have bet money that Qien was going to be the next galactic power, now they're being blown away.

[1:16]
In a few short years, the Roasted Beurocracy of Qien has gone from owning over 200 stars to owning 3. Their last bastions of power. And those only stand because they have ships that are destroying warp points to those stars. They are isolated and alone. Its only a matter of time.

[1:22 PM]
The capitol has been retaken. The empire has pushed back many of the revolutions. The civil war is practically over. Once again over 3/4 of the galaxy are under a single banner. But the Ronatinder Dynasty has taken a heavy hit to their prestige because of it. Many of the Ronatinder died in the revolts, and the wealth of the dynasty faultered. They dropped from the #1 most powerful dynasty in the galaxy, for over a millenia, to the 9th most powerful.

[1:23]
Oh, and all of Theadsamen Ronatinder's family is dead. There are no others in his household. He is the last remaining membert of his dynasty.

[1:24]
It says something that a dynasty with but one member is in the top 10 most powerful dynasties in the galaxy (even if he is the emperor). But, it will not hold. He will get assassinated or some such for being in such a high office. And that will be the end of the mighty Ronatinder dynasty.

I just wish it was easier to follow individual characters (or find their location on the map), or there was more of a history of the dynasties like there was a history of the empires. The dynasties are a freaking awesome feature that tell great stories. But they're a little hard to follow if you aren't constantly clicking on them to see what's up.
<<

Snoddasmannen

Site Admin

Post Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:00 am

Wow thank you so much for this story! I wish my co-workers were as interested in this as yours :)

I'd love to do a bunch more with the dynasty feature. It can be tons of fun, but I'm sure that some small things can make it plenty better. What kind of history would you like to see available for them?
<<

covi2955

Post Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:18 am

Snoddasmannen wrote:Wow thank you so much for this story! I wish my co-workers were as interested in this as yours :)

I'd love to do a bunch more with the dynasty feature. It can be tons of fun, but I'm sure that some small things can make it plenty better. What kind of history would you like to see available for them?

So as I was working to follow this story, here are the features I found myself wishing I had:

For ships, people, and stars, it would have been really helpful to be able to simply click a button to center the camera on where they were (maybe this exists but I couldn't find it).

It would be nice to see history of a job. Right now we can see what jobs a person goes through, but we don't have a way to see what people have gone through a job. This would let us see things like who the last few emperors were. I had kinda wished to know who the previous emperor was before Theadsmen Ronatinder just to see how long he had ruled before Theadsmen took over. This would probably be easiest to implement for just the Emperors of an Empire (depending on how the data is set up), but I did find myself wondering about stupid little things like who had been the regional governor in this system before the (current) emperor had been promoted to that position.

It would be cool to have a histograph similar to the galaxy-control histograph for empires, but for dynasties and their prestige so we can see the rise and fall of dynasties.

And lastly it would have been nice if I could "follow" an individual and have a tracking for single persons. The follow ability on Dynasties is sweet, and I use it all the time, I just wish I could follow individual characters too.

This game is spectacular. My favorite games are the ones where stories play out before you, in a procedural way. I find myself much more emotionally attached to the random, faceless guy with no graphics, who is unique to my game, with unique traits and a unique story and when he dies is gone forever, than the pre-scripted character that will be there the next time I play the exact same story, even if they did die.
I happen to be a software developer myself (though admittedly not for video games). If you ever find yourself short handed and wanting help with this game I would be totally down for some pro bono freelancing in my free time to help out.
PreviousNext

Return to Game discussion