FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Unconventional Ideas

Moderator: Some Guy

<<

Alpha Invicta

Post Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:39 pm

Unconventional Ideas

A compilation of Ideas that may seem a bit crazy for Galimulator.

Natural Disasters?
Diseases
Maybe Snod can implement some kind of a traveling "AI" that spreads and lowers the wealth of stars that are affected for an x amount of millennia/years. It can travel by infecting ships and trade ships (even projectiles if you're up to that). Has a random chance to kill an employee stationed in the star/ship.

The naming should be fairly easy, Snods can use that random Empire name generator and configure it to correspond with a disease-ish names such as:
The Wailing Fever from Dououa, Airborne Dankness, Flying sweat disease and etc. A basic naming structure could be like: "The [Adjective](or)[state/condition{eg. Sweating, coughing, etc}]+[Known sickness{eg. fever, coma, paralysis, etc}]+Disease+(optional)from+[Origin, name of a ship or a star where it came from]. Results will be like "The Worrying Fever Disease" or "The Coughing Syndrome from Star Merda".

It could be spawned from conflicts in stars, like a dropship attacking a random star. There will be a chance that one of the employees of said dropship would get infected with an unknown disease from that planet. It could also spawn from empires with low wealth and/or low tech level. Diseases would be widespread in the population and would weaken the already failing empire.

Science ships and Research Laboratories would be able to shield surrounding stars from the disease, even cure it. This gives much more purpose to these objects rather than just speeding up tech research. Another way to completely stop a rampaging disease is completely obliterating the stars that are infected with it, empires could use Explosive Museums and Terror ships to achieve such goal.

Diseases should only appear at degenerating and rioting empires at rare chances.
--------------------------------------------------
Accidental Mess-ups
Another natural disaster that would be interesting to see in Galimulator are mistakes made by an empire's population.

In a technologically superior empire, there could be a chance that a science ship might blow up and unleash a dragon at it's wake. Or a research station might mess up Hyper-Space studies and accidentally turn the star it resides in into a wasteland. Or maybe, in an attempt to research ways to transcend, a Science ship accidentally spawns an Elder thing somewhere in the universe. The chances of such things happening rises as an empire rises in tech level. As a cautious person might have put it, "Curiousity killed the Cat".
Alright, I've ran out of ideas for natural disasters. I'll add more in this thread if I manage to think of another one. Moving on!
Speaking of diversity, how about environments for stars? As of now, all the stars of a galaxy in Galimulator is the same. Only varying in wealth and who controls it. Environments for each star would bring a little bit of "flavour".

Environments would differ from Star to Star. Some would give strategic advantages, while others would give an empire some Disadvantageous Maluses. Such environments that I think would fit in-game would be:

Legends
+ or Plus symbol = How good something is. The more, the merrier!
- or Minus symbol = How bad something is. The more, the worser?
* or Asterisk = A unique feature in a star
? or Question Mark = A random choice between being good or bad in quality

Oceanic/Aquatic Stars-
This stars would be mostly filled with ocean-covered planets. This would prove to be valuable area to mine resources, although not so much for combat or other purposes.
+Wealth

Desert Stars-
This stars would be the exact opposite of Aquatic Stars. Filled with vast distances of sand, this stars wouldn't prove to be much useful for empires. However, if an empire spawns with a Desert star as their capital, that empire could potentially be slightly stronger than others. Giving that they literally spawned in a star devoid of Mercy.
*Gives "Desert-born" Empires a slight Attack Bonus

Forest Stars-
This stars would be surrounded with Planets lush with greenery and life. This could be a good area to start extracting resources from, straight from the house!
++Wealth

Rainforest Stars-
This is a slightly "danker" version of Forest stars. Slightly wet, still a good place to extract resources from.
+++Wealth

Arctic Stars-
This stars would be surrounded with Planets full of snow and sorrow. Nothing much is in these stars, not even resources. Unless your an Icecream-faring empire then you shouldn't conquer any of these.
--Defense Bonus for these stars

Mediterranean Stars-
These stars would be surrounded by planets covered with land and ocean. A very moderate place, filled with resources, people and some tourist spots for Humans and Aliens alike!
+Wealth +Defense Bonus -Corruption

Diverse Stars-
Now these stars are surrounded with planets with different environments. This is a very common place for empires to spawn in.
*Likelihood of Empires and Rebellions to start in ?Wealth ?Defense Bonus ?Attack Bonus

And then there are some environments which could only appear when a specific event happens, such as ground battles or projectiles hitting the star:

Battleground Stars-
Stars which is being used as battlefields for wars for a long time would slowly turn into these. Slowly losing the environment (and bonuses) they start with and being replaced with battle scars. It would slowly change into another environment if the star is left alone.
++Defense Bonus(Would decrease every millenia until there's none)

Wasteland Stars-
The aftermath of a projectile attack. Avoid occupying these until it has regrown a suitable environment. What have we done?
-Defense Bonus -Attack Bonus --Wealth
(Would grow into another environment if left alone.)

Industrial Stars-
If the star is developed long enough, it would turn into these. Filled with markets, corporations and merchants. Perfect if money is what you are after!
(Industrial and Capitalist Empires tends to make these in a faster rate)
++Wealth +Corruption

Heavily-populated Stars-
If a developed star doesn't change into an Industrial one the it would turn into these. Filled with people, has more employees than regular stars.
(Every empire's capital turns into these automatically)
+Wealth -Defense Bonus
If possible, there should be an option turn off Environmental stars. I feel that this would take a toll on the framerate.
Simple Species Diversity
Speaking of diversity (Deja Vu?), how about a simple but diverse categorization of species in Galimulator?

I'm thinking of a categorization mechanic for empires and their employees on what mainly composes their species. What species they belong to would slightly affect on what they do as a whole empire and as individuals. Right now I have three species in mind:

Organic Species:
The classic, and pretty common too, made of flesh and bones. They don't really start with any bonuses and can only attain them by adapting.
(Eg. when in a prolonged war, Organic empires tends to accumulate attack bonuses and defense bonuses. Has a limit and can go away after a certain amount of time)
*Can Adapt to situations

Synthetic Species:
Made of artificial materials. Most of these would be mainly robots or cyborgs. Tends to form Robocracy and Population styled goverments. Being made of synthetic material, they unsurprisingly doesn't get hurt that much.
(Can only be formed through rebellion/revolution)
+Defense Bonus -Corruption and Rebellions

Ethereal Species:
"Organisms" that are not made from this universe. Very foreign and "different". Masters of science, but not very experienced in combat.
(Either transcends very late or not at all. Rare chance to build two artifacts instead of one. Starts at Tech 2 or 3)
+Research speed --Defense bonus -Attack Bonus

Employees, dynasties and families would be categorized accordingly as well. Although I don't know how that would work out.

There is a very rare chance for an empire (or employee) to be a hybrid between two species. This hybrid would take only one trait from each species. An example could be:

"The Conclave of Thinginod"
Main Species: Ethereal Organics
--Defense Bonus *Can Adapt to situations

or

"The Robocracy of Duoua"
Main Species: Synthetic Ethereals
+Defense Bonus -Attack Bonus

The main species of an empire would toggle between the defaults and the Hybrids depending on the situation. Eg. if a war is going on maybe Synthetic Ethereals may decrease in number because they are being used as the primary combat troops and is replaced by Organics.

The percentage of each species in an empire would be limited to 4-5 species. Clicking on an empire and on a "Main Species" button somewhere in the UI would toggle a PI-chart graph showing the percentages between each species kind of like this:
https://www.meta-chart.com/share/untitled-13790

This concept would be expanded on if I have the time (Or Snod's attention :( )

Some Guy

Post Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:06 am

Re: Unconventional Ideas

Very well thought out ideas.

About the species thing, if it happened, Snodd should create 2 new empire specials: Xenophobe and Xenophile. They would effect how the empire employs other races and their attitude towards empires of different species. For example; Xenophobic- less likely to have peace with empires of different species, and other species are not allowed to have important government jobs.
The Best Emperor!
<<

Snoddasmannen

Site Admin

Post Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:14 pm

Awesome suggestions, thanks! I'm on the road for a while, but I hope to give you some proper feedback in about a week when I'm back in the "lab" :)
One man Galimulator developer and public relations army
<<

Alpha Invicta

Post Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:37 am

Very well thought out ideas.

About the species thing, if it happened, Snodd should create 2 new empire specials: Xenophobe and Xenophile. They would effect how the empire employs other races and their attitude towards empires of different species. For example; Xenophobic- less likely to have peace with empires of different species, and other species are not allowed to have important government jobs.

Ooh, sounds awesome! I should think more about traits huh....;)

Awesome suggestions, thanks! I'm on the road for a while, but I hope to give you some proper feedback in about a week when I'm back in the "lab"

Wow, you actually replied! Of course, I'll be waiting! :D
"We seek no indemnities for ourselves, no material compensation for the sacrifices we shall freely make. We are but one of the champions of the rights of Mankind."
<<

Snoddasmannen

Site Admin

Post Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:28 am

Diseases

I've thought about this one for a long time, in a similar vein to what you suggest. It could be a lot of fun, but I didn't get around to trying it yet. Such a disease would probably need some built in timer, or another mechanism to defeat it.

Accidental Mess-ups

Hehe, I think some random events that happen can be interpreted like this :)
But there is actually a small chance that the ... I think the disruptor ship blows up massively and takes some stars with it. Same goes for the explosives museum btw, I always loved that thing :)

Environmentally Diverse Stars

Yes this is another good idea. It's been requested a lot, and it's good to see somebody take the time to write down some suggestions :) The thing about this one, as many other major features, is that it needs to be done very well from a design pov, but also from an implementation pov to now screw up and introduce bugs / high cost maintenance. So it's not an easy thing to add for a one man project.

Simple Species Diversity

Interesting, but I would not introduce species for this, I would simply turn those into empire specials. Specials would be a much bigger thing. So people would be a certain species, empires would have a major species. How would species A interact with species B? How do new species form? Can there be internal wars between species? Can families of the same species like each other better, and how does that affect diplomacy? Lots of interesting stuff like this. But this would be a truly major feature ...

Thanks for the text to read! Sorry for the late reply :(
One man Galimulator developer and public relations army

Return to Game discussion