How did you find this game?

Moderator: Some Guy

<<

Snoddasmannen

Site Admin

Post Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:33 pm

Re: How did you find this game?

Optometrist_Prime wrote:
Snoddasmannen wrote:I wish I'd just have found it as well, I had to code the damn thing to play it.

Does it ever get boring or predictable as the developer of the game?

That's actually a great question. I think for me, if I get bored, I can just code some stuff, to add a new feature to make it less boring :) Or check the reviews or the forums to see what people are up to here.

So far, I'm still not bored, and I'm certainly not out of ideas for coding ...
One man Galimulator developer and public relations army
<<

Optometrist_Prime

Post Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:32 am

Snoddasmannen wrote:
Optometrist_Prime wrote:
Snoddasmannen wrote:I wish I'd just have found it as well, I had to code the damn thing to play it.

Does it ever get boring or predictable as the developer of the game?

That's actually a great question. I think for me, if I get bored, I can just code some stuff, to add a new feature to make it less boring :) Or check the reviews or the forums to see what people are up to here.

So far, I'm still not bored, and I'm certainly not out of ideas for coding ...

I guess boredom only really applies to really simple systems, but now that you've introduced so many different things it's pretty interesting

Have you ever noticed any kind of obvious or reccurent pattern in the past? And how have you fixed it (or not)?
I'm not Belgian either
<<

Snoddasmannen

Site Admin

Post Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:50 am

Optometrist_Prime wrote:I guess boredom only really applies to really simple systems, but now that you've introduced so many different things it's pretty interesting

Have you ever noticed any kind of obvious or reccurent pattern in the past? And how have you fixed it (or not)?

Good question, again :)

Yes I can think of a couple of examples:
  • Empire lineages last way too long: Make high tech empires leave low tech empires alone, and introduce Blood Purge
  • Some ships have uber high levels and are untouchable: Introduce mutineers in dynasty mode, introduce "critical hits" so 1/20 shots always damage the ship regardless of levels, introducing now Puppet Mistress which will infest any ships, turn them neutral and feed on them until they die
  • Two blood purgers get stuck against each other: Make it possible to have only one blood purger at a time
  • Galaxy is more often populated with level 8 empires rather than mixed tiers (which is more interesting to me): Again, the big guys leave the small ones alone, slower tech rate, but I'm still struggling a bit with this one :)
<<

Optometrist_Prime

Post Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:36 pm

Snoddasmannen wrote:[*]Galaxy is more often populated with level 8 empires rather than mixed tiers (which is more interesting to me): Again, the big guys leave the small ones alone, slower tech rate, but I'm still struggling a bit with this one :)[/list]

How about large primitive or rich empires still go to war with small advanced empires

So chance of declaring war goes UP if at least two of the following conditions are met

1. My tech is higher than theirs
2. My empire size is higher
3. I am richer

So a rich advanced small empire will still go to war with a large poor and primitive empire, things like that

Basically if two empires are kinda equal with each other they will go to war

I think we could Dodge all of this weirdness with a more advanced diplomatic system though rather than the current one, but we'll need to overhaul the whole thing to do so if we actually want any kind of realism or balance in the game without sacrificing huge gameplay things for the AI or player
I'm not Belgian either
<<

Optometrist_Prime

Post Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:36 pm

Last edited by Optometrist_Prime on Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not Belgian either
<<

Ominethious

Post Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:53 am

Some Guy wrote:
Ominethious wrote:I found it.

A very interesting answer

Yes, much depth. Many emotions. :v
<<

johnwillo

Post Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:06 pm

Nice writeup on Rock, Paper, Shotgun.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/1 ... simulator/

This is the game that I'd always been meaning to write. So glad that somebody has done it, and better than I probably would have.

Somewhere I've got a government name generator that I made. It was for "serious" sounding government names only, though. I will mine it for anything that might be interesting and post it to the names thread.

I cannot thank you enough for creating the Star Empire Simulator that I always dreamed of. I love "fishbowl" mode.
<<

Snoddasmannen

Site Admin

Post Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:32 pm

johnwillo wrote:Nice writeup on Rock, Paper, Shotgun.

This is the game that I'd always been meaning to write. So glad that somebody has done it, and better than I probably would have.

Somewhere I've got a government name generator that I made. It was for "serious" sounding government names only, though. I will mine it for anything that might be interesting and post it to the names thread.

I cannot thank you enough for creating the Star Empire Simulator that I always dreamed of. I love "fishbowl" mode.

Yeah that writeup was great, and was huge for the popularity of the game.

Hey send me that name generator, maybe I can steal some aspects to my own :)

About this game idea, it's just something that was brewing within me for a long time. Many years ago I wrote a precursor to this game, and then for years I thought I should port it to Android and release it to the masses. I had no idea if people would like it or not, and initially, nobody did. But now, there are at least several who do, though of course most do not :)

Thanks for the kind words!
<<

Hereisyoursign

Post Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:08 am

Snoddasmannen wrote:
johnwillo wrote:Nice writeup on Rock, Paper, Shotgun.

Yeah that writeup was great, and was huge for the popularity of the game.

Hey send me that name generator, maybe I can steal some aspects to my own :)

About this game idea, it's just something that was brewing within me for a long time. Many years ago I wrote a precursor to this game, and then for years I thought I should port it to Android and release it to the masses. I had no idea if people would like it or not, and initially, nobody did. But now, there are at least several who do, though of course most do not :)

Thanks for the kind words!

So snoddasmannen, so you ever think if like releasing a developers diary or something to tell us about how you made the game, how it used to etc. I would tottaly read that
You have a sign, you get a sign, everyone gets a sign!
<<

enden31

Post Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:03 pm

I personally found it out on the playstore in the apps reccomended for me. I usually download strategy/gestion games.
I'm all about 4X, 'bout 4X, no shooter
PreviousNext

Return to Game discussion