FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Some suggestions

Moderator: Some Guy

<<

nothingSpecial

Post Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:19 pm

Some suggestions

Hello everyone.

First of all, I wanted to say that I really like Snodd's game, its so deep and simple and really the type of game that I'd like to play often. It's really nice to know that I'm not the only one who likes this exact ratio of minimalism, depth and complexity - and that there is someone who actually develops such a game.

I have also a couple of suggestions.

1. After playing (mostly watching simulation, but playing as emperor too) Earth map, I found that it much easier for me to imagine consistent story that goes on - because I know the locations that are in empires' names. Some sort of narrative arises naturally when I see Australian Directorate torn into civil war started by separatists from Nasty League of Australia, or somethin like this, or, for example, several countries in Greenland forming an alliance and finally merging together. I know that this sort of thing isn't simulated (or is it?..), but never the less it looks... historical?

So, what I wanted to propose to allow this situations arise in procedurally named empires:
- allow player to turn pre-named empires off in options (or just make them exception to the folowing rules);
- while generating empire, record it's unique name (i.e. Kantera Oligarchy has "Kantera" as it's unique name)
- when conquering star, it gets unique name of empire set in it. At most, each star have two unique names, let's call them cultures. One culture is of current holder empire. If the star was neutral before conquest, it will be the only culture. If the star was occupied and had one culture, it has both previous and current culture. If the star had already two cultures, one is selected at random and other is the culture of new owner.
- while revolting, the new empire has the significant chance to get it's culture from one of the stars instead of generating new one. For instance, Kantera Oligarchy previously conquered the star belonging to Benes Council, and new empire can either create new culture, be of the mother culture (Kantera) or of the "opressed" culture (Benes).
- if the culture is the same as mother culture (like Democracy of Kantera), the new empire can get (but it is not guaranteed ) a new special called "Coup d'etat" (or something more appropriate) that makes it more hostile to all rmpires with the same culture, and mother empire as well.
- if the culture is the same as "opressed" culture (like Malevolent Benes Hive), the new empire can (also not guaranteed) get a new special called "Freedom fighters" that makes it more amicable to the empires of the same culture and therefore more probable that peace, alliance or merge will occur.

2. The other proposal is a little more general. I find it kind of limiting that in normal play as emperor I should bet for that chance that my spies are lucky enough to sign peace in time or else I will be torn between not expanding into neutral stars and fighting with neighbors. So what can be done to make international relationships a little bit more flexible:

- add new empire state and new relationship status. Instead of Fortyfing and Expanding we will have Fortyfing, Colonizing and Conquering. Instead of War, Peace and Alliance we will have War, Neutrality, Peace and Alliance, and default is not War but Neutrality.
Fortifying is same as before, Colonizing will be like Expanding with neutral stars and like Fortifying with already belonging to other Empires, and Conquering is same as Expanding before.
So in Fortifying your empire maintains its territory, in Colonizing it assumes that neutral empires are at peace with you (and maintains the border with them if they try to attack you) and otherwise the same as Expanding, and in Conquering it assumes that neutral empires are at war with you (and therefore the same as Expanding).

- add Neutrality and make not three but four "basic" empire states:
fortifying: maintains territory
expanding at neutral stars and maintains borders with empires
expanding at neutral stars and enemies and maintains borders with neutral empires, your allies and empires that signed peace with you
expanding everywhere except allies and empires that signed peace with you

- add Neutrality and make the following three empire states:
fortifying (same as before, yes)
expanding into neutral stars and making peace with all met neutral empires
expanding and declaring war to all met neutral empires (current expanding)
Basically in this variant Neutrality is used only for previously unknown empires and works sort of like quick and automated spy-diplomacy

- add Neutrality and make the following five empire states:
fortifying (well, duh)
expanding into neutral stars and proposing peace even to enemies;
expanding and making peace with all met neutral empires
expanding and declaring war to all met neutral empires
expanding and declaring war to all empires at borders (basically automated war declaration).

Sorry if it is confusing, I don't know what can I use instead of Neutrality even though we already have "neutral" for stars not colonized by any empire.

3. Just some additional suggestions:
- ability to make conspiracy in galaxy mode (like with custom dynasties)
- ability to make conspiracy in sanbox mode, and make any conspiracy succeed.
- ability to send spy on a mission to start or stop conspiracy in Emperor mode. Maybe even at your own empire?
- ability to make "hard reform" for a government that changes it government type (and specials?) at a high cost (very long degeneration? rioting?)
- option to choose government type (as in position's names) while generating empire independently of name (for instance generating CEO as a leader of cult)
- "use" for lunar monoliths: after transcendence (or blood purge, for that matter, or supernova, or any other way for star with lunar monolith become neutral), the neutral star with a monolith has a higher chance to spawn new empire.

NOTE: I suggested that before I've read in other topic that they are useless on purpose (anf that they are monuments, not monoliths). I was thinking about reference Space Odyssey. Well, it can be now a suggestion to the new artifact type, the one that starts new empire once star with it becomes neutral, and also that new empire can have the one that built the artifact as it's ancestors.

- artifact construction rework: option to make a new artifact instead of destroyed one? option to make a new artifact at gainig new tech level (and lose of this right at degenerating a lecel down, so if you have just reached tech level 3, you need to build artifact BEFORE moving either up or down the tech ladder)? Currently the limit feels a little bit rigid, player-set preferences would be nice, and also they often don't feel significant.
- option to set other tech level as a threshold for trancendency.
- option to build specials-specific ship types at will once you've unlocked them?

Sorry again if my language is confusing. Also fixes (and some new mistypes, probably) and additions.
<<

Snoddasmannen

Site Admin

Post Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:09 pm

Re: Some suggestions

Hi! Thanks for an interesting read :) Can only give you some quick replies I'm afraid.

1. I have slightly different ideas for ethos and cultural identity that I will implement soon-ish, that would collide a bit with this. Some aspects may be similar though.

2. I like this in many ways, but I think it would be too complex and confusing for most users. So probably I will stick with what I have.

3. Thanks for many suggestions, I will keep them all in mind, though none of them are likely to make it into the next update :)
One man Galimulator developer and public relations army
<<

nothingSpecial

Post Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:23 pm

Well, for the second one can you then at least make peace declaration easier for empires that haven't territorial disput yet? I rarely want to start my empire building with genocide of all met life, ya'know?
<<

nothingSpecial

Post Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:28 pm

Oh, and also... can you change places in Dynasty and Dyplomacy buttons of empires? Right now you can't see diplmatic relationships without dynasties turned on (so no high star count galaxies for my phone), and with dynasties turned off there is a useless button in empire window.

Also changing alliances' colors would be nice.
<<

nothingSpecial

Post Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:38 pm

Oh, another proposal for neutrality without adding new empire state! Maybe you can add one new button to the emperor screen, like "contact procedure: make peace/declare a war", right below the state. If you have "make peace", and encountered star of empire you have not met previously, and this empire also have "make pease" as contact procedure, then the peace automatically declared without diverting your spy. Otherwise, if any or both of you have war declaration as contact procedure, the war is started. Of course there won't be option to not invade encountered hostile empires, but at least the player will be able to expand peacefully where possible.

Also sorry for the triple'post. You know, premoderation.

Return to Game discussion